Saturday 9 November 2013

Too tired to care

I am tired.

I am struggling.

I am overwhelmed.

I feel inadequate.

I am hiding.

I am struggling to get motivated.

I struggle to get out of bed.

I struggle to smile.

Little things stress me out.

I can be tearful at the drop of a hat.

I feel isolated.

All of the above statements are true at the moment.

Do you ever feel like everyone wants a piece of you and if you give them what they need you are going to shatter into a million tiny pieces?

I don't understand it. But I know what it is.

Loss.

No one has to have died for a person to experience loss.

I live with it daily. This roller coaster life that I live with my very precious and sweet child, who has more health issues than you could shake a stick at, is tough.

People have told me that I have a choice! A choice to what I ask? To care for him, they reply.

These are two types of people who say this: professionals and people who have not an ounce of empathy!

I do not care for him out of duty. What most people just don't get is how much I love and adore him. Jack has the right to life in a family environment in the care of people who love him surely?

It would be like me suggesting to a mother of a very healthy, naughty child that really, he would be better off in care....can you imagine the furor that would cause? Not to mention the offense she would take!

Jack, Holly and I have a bond that is so damn strong. I have no idea what the future holds for Jack but with 3 significant episodes of deterioration in his health over the past 4 years, I can only imagine what is next.

I am not selfless. I have not put my life on hold for him. I don't feel that he holds me back or stops me doing things.

Actually it's the other way around. I often feel that I don't give him enough opportunities and that our world has become so small. I am only one person so going places with him requires help as I can no longer lift him alone not to mention the emotional and physical toll it takes on me.

Planning a day out or a short trip away is a major operation. Jack's entourage would make a celebrity jealous!

Then there is the problem of changing him when we are out and about. Disabled toilets are a joke if you are unable to move your body yourself so the only alternative is to change him on a dirty floor in said toilets but now he is even too big for that!

Visiting friends is a no no cos most of them have steps up to their house and it costs a fortune to buy portable ramps. In fact anything specifically for the "disabled" gives companies carte blanche to charge 3 times as much for it!

This is not a pity party, far from it. I just need to get this out otherwise it is going to erupt out of me like a volcano!!!

I very rarely tell it like it is cos when I do, people say the most stupid things!!!

A friend of a friend, after hearing how ill Jack had been, said " you just don't have a life do you?" Resisting the urge to smack her one, I replied " if I didn't  have a life then I would be dead!"

Just because my life is so damn different to yours doesn't make it any less valuable!

I do what I do, I get by, I ride the storm. I am strong but I am expected to be stronger.

The respite unit Jack goes to were feeling overwhelmed by the level of care that he now requires. They wanted more support from the NHS to look after him. They dumped this on me as I went to pick him up the first time he was in respite after coming out of hospital.

What the hell? They got the reassurance they needed eventually but it meant 4 months of uncertainty for me.I don't think they realize that it has hurt our working relationship.

I never complain about the level of care Jack requires, I am just grateful that he has survived the latest trauma and he is still with me.

There are so many ordinary people like me in the this world. Fighting to keep upright in extraordinary circumstances where they are pushed to the limit.We don't want pity, just understanding, support, love,a tiny bit of empathy and for our voices to be heard.

We may be down, but we are definitely not out. Thanks for listening.


























26 comments:

  1. You've got every right to vent Lynne. You can't bottle things up until you explode. The one thing I disagree with is that you are far from ordinary. Extraordinary yes! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb you are so right....venting is good for you! :)

      Delete
  2. I wish I could do more than offer you some words here, but despite what you say about yourself, you are truly remarkable. As is Jack. As is Holly. I'm glad you were able to vent in a small way here. Hugs to you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly this is my safe place and I know you guys will listen.

      Delete
  3. I can see a choccie package coming your way. Not much, I know, but since I am so far away, it's all I can do. I feel like you too - when people say you have a choice - well - no - I don't really. Peter (even tho he has different issues from Jack) is very much part of our family.
    You know you can text/phone/mail me any time (within reason - late opening night Thursday till 8pm!!!)
    Oh - and that boy - he has such a gorgeous face that I love him to bits.
    Hugs from us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That boy of mine is so cheeky! Thanks for all the choccy packages, they are greatly appreciated :)

      Delete
  4. Lynne, "Exemplary" is the word that pops into my mind when I think of you. People who have problems should consider, and follow, the example you set in how to deal with what might otherwise overwhelm them. HUGS for the three of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Don, thank you for your kind words. Hugs to you too.

      Delete
  5. I'm afraid this made me cry - especially as it's so close to home. How horrible of people to say that you 'have a choice' to care for your own son :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was crying writing it...but it was therapeutic at the same time, if you know what I mean?

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it. Some days it seems the shit just never ends. Take care of yourself. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kellie that is exactly what it's like at times! X

      Delete
  7. A post written from the heart, Lynne, and I hope it has helped just a tiny bit to put it in writing like that. People can be so unthinking at times, and I can imagine how you feel when they say things like that. I honestly feel so
    helpless. All we can give you are words of encouragement and to let you know that we all admire you so much. Not enough I know 😞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was Diane and I definitely felt better after! Thanks as always for your virtual support.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry. You are very tough and brave and loving. X once told me to get a life. I think it's the most insulting thing anyone has ever said to me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that totally is truly insulting! How dare he!!! Eejit. x

      Delete
  9. Vent away lovely lady. Sometimes we just need to let it all out.
    Sending hugs and much love for you and your beautiful family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mynx. I don't think we do it enough.

      Delete
  10. Definitely a post from the heart. Well said, your voice has been heard. And hugs to you, Jack and Holly. You are a fantastic mum ... to both your wonderful children :-)

    ((xx)) Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us special needs parents need to start yelling!! lol

      Delete
  11. Sorry it's been a while since I checked back here. I know some of how you feel. I know that 'shouting' it out really helps so I hope you're feeling a bit lighter now. Sending a big hug x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lyndy, long time no see,. people just suck sometimes, I reckon.Popped in to see how you are going, its been 17 months since i blogged,and about 15 since I read anyones!! slack I know,I have thought about you and Jack and Holly and wondering how it was all going. Hard work as usual I see. I think Holly was just about finished school last time i was here. Hugs to you, you do a wonderful job with your kids, you are amazing. don't let the idiots get you down Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya there, I often think of you too. How are things going in your part of the world? Holly is now in her second year of university...how time flies eh?!

      Delete

Laughter is the best medicine and it's free. Thanks for visiting my blog and I look forward to hearing from you.

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...